FairPlane UK logo
NEWS: Unfortunately, we will no longer be accepting new compensation claims.
Flight Delay Claim amount

Heathrow Flight Delay Compensation

Advice for passengers

Home > Heathrow flight delay compensation

Overview of Heathrow airport

London Heathrow (LHR) is a major international airport located in London, United Kingdom. It is the third busiest airport in the world based on international passenger traffic. Heathrow has two runways which run east to west, and which currently operate at 99% capacity; an additional third runway is being planned. Heathrow currently has four passenger terminals and one for cargo, but within the expansion plans, a sixth terminal is included. The average total number of daily passengers is 206,800: 51% arrivals and 49% departures.

Location of Heathrow airport

Heathrow lies 14 miles west of Central London and operates on a site that covers 1214 hectares. It is a huge site that is serviced by over and underground rail links into the capital. The airport's location and accessibility from the M25 and its connecting motorway network provides excellent transport links for its visitors and increases its popularity with users.

History of Heathrow airport

Heathrow Airport was first developed in 1929 as a small private airfield operating under the name Great West Aerodrome. With the onset of World War 2, the government requisitioned the airport and renamed it RAF Heston, which was a base for the long-range troop-carrying aircraft bound for the Far East. Post-war, the airport was no longer needed and became London's new civil airport.

Heathrow airport facts

  • Heathrow Airport is used by over 81 airlines flying to 194 destinations in 82 countries.
  • It is the main hub of for British Airways and is a base for Virgin Atlantic.
  • Of Heathrow's 75.7 million passengers in 2016, 94% were international travellers; the remaining 6% were bound for (or arriving from) places in the UK.
  • 66% of Heathrow's users are leisure travellers, with the remaining 34% of passengers travelling for business.

  • New York is the most popular destination in terms of passenger numbers, with over 3 million per anum.

Traffic figures for Heathrow airport

 Year PassengersAircraft movements (Includes private & commercial)
 2016 75,711,130474, 963

Flight delays

Before departing for Heathrow airport to catch your flight or to collect someone from arrivals, we recommend that you check the most up to date flight schedule to see if any delays have been announced.

For arrivals: http://www.heathrow.com/arrivals

For departures: http://www.heathrow.com/departures


Flight delay compensation

If either you or one of your family or friends has suffered a flight delay on arrival to, or depature from Heathrow airport, you can check and see if you are entitled to claim compensation for the inconvenience using our Flight Delay Compensation Form. It only takes a minute to check and you're not committing to making a claim.

To qualify to receive compensation, you must be able to answer “YES” to all of the following questions:

  • Have you flown in the past six years?
  • Did you take off from within the EU or arrive in the EU aboard an EU based airline?
  • Were you were delayed by more than 3 hours or was your flight was cancelled
  • Was the delay due to reasons other than 'extraordinary circumstances'? Read more about extraordinary circumstances here.

How much compensation can I claim?

The table below lists the amounts of compensation that are available to passengers depending on the length of their flight and the duration of the delay. All amounts are set by the European Courts and detailed in legislation. The amount you receive in sterling will, of course, change depending on the exchange rate on the day of settlement.

 Flight distanceLength of delayCompensation amount
Up to 1,500km3 hours or more€250 (£210)
1,500km-3,500km3 hours or more€400 (£340)
Over 3,500kmBetween 2 EU member states & 3 hours or more€400 (£340)
Over 3,500km 3 to 4 hours€300 (£255)
Over 3,500kmMore than 4 hours €600 (£510)

Right to care

European law dictates that in certain circumstances, delayed airline passengers have a right to care from their airline carriers.

We strongly recommend that you locate and ask a representative of your airline if this is available as it is not always offered without request.

The care that must be provided to you will depend on the length of the delay and of your scheduled journey

What can you claim?

  • Meals and refreshments appropriate to the length of the delay.
  • Access to communications (telephone, email & fax).
  • Hotel accommodation, when an overnight stay is necessary, including transportation from, and returning to, the airport if required.

Any questions?

If you have questions about the process of claiming flight delay compensation, a good place to start would be to take a look at the following sections of this website:

Flight Delay Claim News

Thomas Cook Goes Into Liquidation

Thomas Cook including Thomas Cook Airlines has today announced that it is going into liquidation. All current flights and holiday bookings have been cancelled as a result.

Ryanair pilots set to strike

Balpa, The British Airline Pilots Association has announced that Ryanair pilots will take part in two walkouts in August and September this year. According to Balpa, more than 70% of the union’s members had taken part in the vote with over 80% suppo

IT issues lead to flight delays for BA passengers

British Airways online check-in service has failed leading to delays for travellers and holidaymakers.

135 easyjet passengers stranded in Jersey for 3 days!

Passengers due to depart on flight number EZY6474 from Jersey to Newcastle on Tuesday have been left stranded by Easyjet for 3 days. Their Airbus plane couldn’t fly due to a technical fault and so their original flight was cancelled and all 135 pass
We use cookies to improve your experience of our website. Click here to read more.